State Authorization

Pamlico Community College, like all colleges across the country, must comply with federal State Authorization regulations. Out-of-State students should read the following State Authorization guidelines before enrolling at PCC. The link providing the steps for the out-of-state admissions process is at the bottom of this page.

State Authorization for Out-of-State Students.

“If an institution is offering post secondary education through distance
or correspondence education to students in a State in which it is not
physically located or in which it is otherwise subject to State
jurisdiction as determined by the State, the institution must meet any
State requirements for it to be legally offering distance or
correspondence education in that State.” (Chapter 34,
§ 600.9©Higher Education Opportunity Act)

PCC is currently authorized to offer online classes to students residing in the following states:


Students who do not reside in North Carolina or in one of the above mentioned states should contact their state agency or agencies regarding PCC’s authorization to offer online classes within the said state.

Below are some links to provide you with general information about State Authorization.

Directory of State Authorization Agencies

Higher Education Program Integrity Questions and Answers-State Authorization

Student Grievance Procedures

Pamlico Community College desires to resolve student grievances, complaints and concerns in a prompt, fair and amicable manner. Students residing outside of the State of North Carolina while attending PCC who desire to resolve a grievance should follow the Colleges Student Grievance Procedure.

A student grievance exists when a student claims that a violation or a misinterpretation of a Pamlico Community College policy, procedure, or practice has occurred. A student filing a grievance should follow the procedures as outlined.

Student Complaint Information by State and Agency


Should a condition exist that a student feels is in violation of the rules, procedures, policies, or other standards of the College, it is important that he or she bring it to the attention of the appropriate Vice President.

During the process of a grievance, all procedures, meetings, names, and related information will be confidential in accordance to FERPA laws, unless otherwise mutually agreed upon by all the parties involved.

Informal Process

Before the formal process grievance process is instituted, the student is expected to meet with the person whom s/he believes has violated the policy or procedure. If the student does not believe that s/he is able to do that, s/he needs to meet and discuss the incident with the appropriate divisional Vice President of the staff or department chair of the faulty member. The Vice President of Student Services is available to give students guidance in the informal process as well as in the formal process.

If a student believes s/he has been discriminated against because of race, color, sex, gender, gender expression, national origin, religion, age, disability or sexual orientation by college personnel, it important that s/he bring the situation to the attention of the Vice President of Administrative Services.

Formal Process

If the student is not satisfied with the results of the informal process, s/he should initiate the formal process.

Should a student wish to file a formal grievance, written notice must be submitted by the student to the Vice President of Student Services.

The Vice President of Student Services will present the information to the President of the College, who will begin the process of organizing a grievance committee. The Student Grievance Committee is composed of the The Vice President of Instructional Services and, when available, the President of the Student Government Association. Other members are appointed by the President.

In the event of an appeal regarding a final grade, the appeal must be submitted by Noon on the fifth (5th) business day immediately following the “Grades Due” day as designated on the Academic Calendar included in this Catalog.

The Student Grievance Committee will convene within 2 business days of the notice of appeal. The result of any grievance made to the Student Grievance Committee will be determined by a majority vote of the committee members. Based upon the outcome of this voting, a written recommendation will be sent to the President’s Office by the committee chairperson. In addition, a written notice of recommendation rendered to the President will be sent to the student. Any adjustments of the original disciplinary action rendered will come from the President’s office.

All decisions coming from the President’s office are final.

However, if an issue cannot be resolved internally, a complaint may be filed with the student’s State. The SHEOO Student Complaint Information form lists states with the appropriate agency name and information about and/or links to the complaint process.

The Title IX Process provides an aggrieved student or employee the opportunity to report a complaint of sex discrimination to the regional Office of Civil Rights (OCR) for investigation. The aggrieved person may register such an investigation with the OCR. The aggrieved person may register such a complaint regardless of whether he/she is using the institution’s grievance procedure. Contact the Title IX Coordinator for information. The OCR address is 101 Marietta Street NW, Atlanta, GA 30323.

Compliance with individual state requirements is now part of the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008, Amended 2010. Compliance with HOEA regulations is tied to Title IV funding and to SACS/COC principles.

Pamlico Community College is accredited with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award Associate Degrees, Diplomas, and Certificates. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia, 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Pamlico Community College. Students who have a complaint about their educational experience at PCC, for which the complaint has not been resolved through internal College procedures, may contact SACS for assistance. Complaint Procedures Against the Commission or Its Accredited Institutions.

Procedures to Apply for Admission – Out-of-State Students.

Click here for the procedures to apply for admission for those who do not reside in North Carolina.