Veteran Services


Veterans using computers


Susan Adams, VA Certifying Official
252-2491851 × 3023
Pamlico Community College
5049 Hwy 306 South
Grantsboro, NC 28529


Monday, Wednesday, Thursday:8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday:10:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
7:30 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.

How to apply for educational Benefits

Step 1: Complete Admissions Application and Application for Benefits

To start the application process to use your GI Bill or to us the GI Bill of your spouse or parent, you need to talk with a counselor or VA rep., complete an application for admissions at Pamlico Community College, and submit an application for benefits.

To apply for these benefits, the student must complete a Veterans Affairs (VA form. If a student is using VA benefits for the first time, VA Form 22-1990 is used. If a student is changing programs or has used benefits within the past year, VA Form 22-1995 is used. This process may be completed at any VA Office, by calling (252) 249-1851 x3023, 1-888-442-4551 or by visiting

Please check the groups (A or B) below to see what information must accompany you application for benefits.

Group A: Individuals under the following categories:

  • CH. 30 – Active Duty/Former Active Duty
  • CH. 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill
  • CH. 33 TOE 9/11 GI Bill Transfer of Eligibility
  • CH. 1606 – Selected Reserve
  • CH. 1607- Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP)

Individuals applying for benefits under Group A are required to submit a copy of their DD-214 (Member 4), copy of the application submitted for benefits and their Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE).

Group B: Individuals under the following category:

  • Ch. 35 – Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program

Individuals applying for benefits under Group B are required to submit a copy of their birth certificate (dependents) or their marriage certificate (spouses) in addition to completing the application.

Step 2: Submit all Official Transcripts

Prior to being certified for benefits, you must submit all official transcripts from your high school/GED equivalency, from any college/universities you’ve attended and a copy of your military transcript to the Office of the Registrar. To check to see if your transcripts have been received, you may contact the Registrar’s Office at (252) 249-1851 x3025.

Step 3: Register & Pay for Classes

Once you have registered and paid for classes, you need to submit a copy of your schedule and a copy of your receipt of payment to the VA Certifying Official (VACO) located in Student Services, Room 103.

For Ch. 33 participants, submit a copy of your schedule and the VACO will process a Pamlico Community College Voucher for the payment of tuition and fees as allowed by your Certificate of Eligibility.

**Students receiving GI Bill benefits must submit a copy of their schedule and receipt of payment each semester they wish to be certified. Certifications will be processed within 15 days of the receipt of the first VA Attendance Verification Form.

Step 4: Verify Enrollment

You must verify your enrollment/attendance at the end of the month by completing and submitting the VA Attendance Verification form by the 5th of the following month to the VACO. You should NOT wait until the end of the first month of school to verify your enrollment for the first time.

Important things to know about using your GI Bill at PCC

You can only receive VA funds for approved curriculum programs. Most degree programs are approved by VA, but if you’re unsure, contact the VACO. Continuing education courses are not approved by VA.

VA will only pay for courses in your major. (This is why it’s important to register/be advice on what classes to register for from your advisor) VA will not pay for independent study, audited classes, or credit by exam.

You are responsible for paying your tuition and fees up front as your enrollment certifications will not be processed by VA until after classes have begun. Unless you have other funds such as financial aid or tuition assistance, we will not be able to hold your schedule or make special arrangements for you. It is your responsibility to make arrangements to cover your tuition, fees, and book each semester.

It can take anywhere from 60-90 days for VA to process your claim for benefits.

If you change your major, you must notify the VACO prior to changing it with the Registrar’s office.
Any change in personal information (address, name, etc.) must be reported to our office.


Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) in order to continue to receive VA benefits.

It is your responsibility to notify us of any changes in your schedule – dropping a class, adding a class, withdrawing from a class(es), etc.

If you withdraw from classes or do not report changes when verifying your enrollment, you may owe back money to VA. Contact the VACO before making changes to your schedule or if you have any questions.

Links of Interest

For local Veterans Services

Vickie L. Glover, Service Officer
2818 Neuse Boulevard
New Bern, NC 28562
252-745-7384 (fax)

Thomas Toler, Service Officer
Department of Veterans Affairs
828 Main Street
Alliance, NC 28509
252-745-4086 (office)


Pamlico Community College does not discriminate in its educational programs, activities, or employment on the basis of sex, age, disability, race, color, national origin, sexual orientation or religion.